October 8, 2009

Refried Beans

from Dinner's Ready
3 cups of dry pinto beans (rinsed)
1 onion, peeled & halved
9 cups of water
5 t salt
1 3/4 t pepper
2 T minced garlic (I use granulated when I'm in a hurry)
1/8 t ground cumin

Put all the ingredients in a crockpot and cook on high for about 8 hours. After the beans are soft, drain, reserving the liquid. Mash beans with a potato masher or use an immersion blender to reach the desired consistency. Add liquid, a bit at a time, to desired thickness, remembering they will thicken with time. Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I was going to say this one should go up here since it's one of my top requested recipes. And probably the cheapest!

    If you have a little bit of Christmas ham in the freezer I like to throw in a small piece (I usually dice up the leftovers and freeze for omelets and quiche and things). Makes it taste even better. :)

    ReplyDelete